JOIN US
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook

Ironman 2016

Home Forums Ironman Ironman 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    gerryv
    Participant

Hello All:

sorry about the re post of this one but the time warp us where we are…

Ok, I understand that many of you are looking at this years calendar and still deciding what race you are looking at doing. With this in mind I’m throwing it out there anyway to get some feedback on potential Ironman events that would be worth considering, especially for a newbie to this event.

I remember in 2014, there were a number of club members did the IM 70.3 in Mallorca and equally an large group did Challenge Roth, and for weeks afterwards we were regaled with stories about valve extenders, effects of dehydration due to… , personal achievement on first time out and PB’s and podium positions for club members.

So with all that in mind I’m asking the Yoda’s,of the group, those with wisdom experience and knowledge to enlighten us on races that we should be considered and why?

Who knows, maybe we can get a group together… there’s nothing like a little forward planning is there… it may help the her indoors conversation…

So, all advice welcome and I would ask that if people are interested in doing an event and havent decided on any particular one that they too would post their interest.

thanks in advance

Ger V

stevenmoody
    Keymaster

Ok to summarise my points ….
    Lanza and Nice = bad …. weather and hilly cycle course
    Austria, Sweden and Barca = good …. weather and flat cycle course

For me if I go long again next year – it will be either Austria or Sweden

Will post up the rest of my decision points when I get a chance….

Smcgui
    Participant

Hey Ger, I’d be potentially interested in a 70.3 next year, open to suggestions.

antje
    Participant

if going long next year it’ll be barcelona

patlinehan
    Participant

Definitely interested in full Ironman next year – thinking of Barcelona (Oct ’16) as previous advice and posts suggested it was relatively flat (no tougher than Roth), straight forward for flights/accommodation, good logistics and later in the year would allow longer training sessions to be done in the Summer.

Paul Mooney
    Participant

There is only one option for me!

May, Lanzarote, and I’ll convinvce a crew to go with me so you might aswell roll in now 🙂

Will also probably do Barcelona as apparently its “easy”. Could you even call it an Ironman when it’s draft legal!

stevenmoody
    Keymaster

I will ask you at mile 20 in Barca Paul if you think there is anything “easy” about any Ironman….

Paul Mooney
    Participant

That’s why I used “easy” and at your mile 20 i’ll be sipping on an ice cold beer. 🙂
    Your very sensitive about Barca hahaha…

stevenmoody
    Keymaster

Ah Paul – if you think you won’t be able to complete 2 Ironman races in a year (not many mortals can) and will end up pulling out after the bike and hitting the beer – best not to bite off more than you can chew and save some face.

We will not think any less of you (in fact I don’t think it would be possible)

Wolf
    Participant

Hi GER.Want to do a 70.3 next year. Have not maid my mind up ‘as yet’ as to where.

John Kearney
    Participant

Does Piranha get any pre-registration slots for Roth 2016 or are we “fingers on the buzzers” like everyone else?

I would really recommend that event, no mass swim start, mostly flat with a few rolling Bavarian hills and an out-and-back run through the woods and along the canal.

Cheaper than IM plus the locals go mad when it’s on. Just hope the weather is not too warm.

BarryMc
    Participant

I’m up forit

paulod
    Keymaster

Tempted to go long next year. Austria, Sweden or Mallorca (Has a hill but would be a nice holiday!).

Piranha did Roth in 2014 John, lets never speak of it again.

marosjakab
    Participant

…Barcelona -16 Oct

Frank
    Participant

Hi,
    I previously got per-registration slots for Roth in 2014 and 2015. I can see if I can get some for 2016. If there is anyone else interested let me know.

As for Ironman 2016, I’m interested in doing Austria, I’m not sure if it would be an appropriate club race as it seems to fill very quickly when it opens and the WTC refund policy is shockingly bad, one of the reasons so many people signed up for Roth in 2014, was the refund policy. When it comes down to it I will most likely do whatever the club is doing.

Perhaps we can have a poll with lots of options then a second poll with the top 3 from the first poll? Just an idea.

Frank

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TWITTER @piranhatri
  • The RSS feed for this twitter account is not loadable for the moment.

Follow @piranhatri on twitter.

UPCOMING EVENTS

VIEW FULL CALENDAR
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER