JOIN US
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook

Nutrition / Injury Prevention Talk – 7th March

Home Forums New to Tri Nutrition / Injury Prevention Talk – 7th March

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Paul Mooney
    Participant

Hi Guys,

If you are new to triathlon then you should attend this. Gavin Duffy, DCT Race Director will do a short talk on nutrition and injury prevention. This will cover what you should or shouldn’t be eating for triathlon, when you eat it and the pitfalls of poor nutrition. The injury prevention will demonstrate techniques or daily activities you can do to prevent needless injuries which could easily have been avoided.

The talk is open to all members, not just new to tri.

Venue: Westwood
    Date: Sat 7th March
    Time: 11 AM

GavinDuffy
    Participant

Hey guys and gals,

Let me know any Sports Nutrition questions you’d like answered or anything you’d like covered in this Saturday’s talk. There will be a physio in to cover the injury prevention as well!

Gav

GavinDuffy
    Participant

Hi All,

The speaker we had lined up for the injury prevention can’t make it this Saturday. If anyone had a suggestion for someone within the club that could do it or anyone that would like to do it, send me a message to sort out the details!

Thanks!

Paul Mooney
    Participant

We have sourced a physio for the Injury Prevention/Nutrition talk.

Woohoo!!

Hope as many of you can make it sat at 11am. (while eating your breakfast after training :))

Please post up questions for Gavin (Nutritionist) and Pierre (Sports Physio), we will use the questions to form a FAQ for future purposes.

Thanks

Paul

stevenmoody
    Keymaster

What are the key differences in nutrition strategies between sprint, oly and HIM?

Myles
    Participant

Is there any difference apart from preference between using a Foam Roller or a Marathon Stick

antje
    Participant

any tips how to prevent lower back pain from swimming.

best nutrition for the run that’s causing the least amount of gastric distress.

how important is carb loading. is that only done before races or before key training sessions as well.

Paul Mooney
    Participant

Hi Gavin,

I had terrible stomach problems on the run of IM Lanza, caused by the gels. I’d rather not use them in future, can your recommend something else.

Would you approach IM like this?

Only liquid for 2 hours of the bike, snack every 25 – 30 mins there after until completion of bike, 3-4 gels on the run? I’d rather avoid gels tho.

Cheers

Paul

GavinDuffy
    Participant

Great work on finding someone Paul!

@ Steven – What would you currently eat/drink in a sprint vs HIM?

@ Antje – I’ll have a carb loading handout to give to people attending and will talk through it as well, thanks for the suggestions!

@ Paul – Are you sure it was the gels? Did you eat a lot the day before and morning of the race also? Had you used the gels in training or used them at different races and in different conditions? (heat/distance/smaller breakfast etc…) Have you ever tried eating anything else on the run?

The talk will include:
    – Role of Nutrition in Training
    – Other Important Factors
    – Role of Carbohydrate/Protein/Fat
    – Food Choices – Training vs Non Training Days
    – Carb Loading
    – Habits Around Eating
    – Supplementing Your Diet
    – Pitfalls, Tips And Measuring Progress

Nutrition is very personal and specific to what works for you, what you’ve trained to adapt to and your tastes/prefereneces. Regularly practicing and experimenting with alternative feeding options e.g. different gels, different sports drinks, different sweets… should be part of training and especially used in key sessions in the build up to races. If racing IM, trial runs of alternative strategies should be done on the longer training days that best replicates the race e.g. 1 hour swim, have what you expect to eat on race day for breakfast, get up at the time you expect to get up on race day, then straight on to a 4-5 hour bike (i.e. don’t sit for breakfast before it) with the same nutrition you expect to use on race day (you could use a loop for ease of access to supplies), and then again in to a transition run making sure to trial gels etc while running.. and get feedback from your body as to how they feel/work.

Cookie cutter approaches to nutrition in general won’t work well, and especially so for something specific like Ironman or 70.3 where everyone has different energy demands based on fat burning abilities, size/weight, clothing, sweat rate, weather, speed/time on course, tastes/preferences, carb-loaded etc… Asking and listening to training partners and experienced racers on what they eat/drink can give great ideas for you to practise yourself in training, and then keeping a record in a training journal or similar with notes on how you felt eating/drinking different things can be really helpful. Athletes have very varied and different yet successful eating strategies so the more you experiment until you find one that works well for you, the better!

laurajmoy
    Participant

Hungry all the time… problem for lots of newbies since starting tri training

debbrawalters
    Participant

Hi all – just wanted to say thanks for organising this today. Really helpful.

GavinDuffy
    Participant

Thanks Debbra, glad to hear it was helpful! Thanks to everyone for attending! As Pierre was saying at the end, if people wanted to directly contact us or post up to this forum if they’d like another follow up talk in a few weeks, and what they’d like to hear/see more of etc.. that’d be great. Id be happy to hear any feedback from anyone.

The slides from today’s presentation and the handout on carb loading/race day preparation are downloadable online here –> https://twitter.com/grassfedireland/status/574236793274560512 . If someone wants to save them to the site for easier access please do, I don’t know how to do it!

Thanks

sz.andi
    Participant

Thanks so much for organising the talks today, they were interesting and helpful. I especially liked that Pierre’s presentation was so practical!

I’m looking forward to a next session! I’d be interested in hearing his opinion about the different treatments and equipments both in prevention and recovery, such as Pilates, massage, foam roll, etc. Thank you! 🙂

Siobhan Forman
    Participant

Agree with the above…

Many Thanks for the presentations.

Siobhan

stevenmoody
    Keymaster

Excellent talk and presentations lads – thanks to Gav and Pierre.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TWITTER @piranhatri
  • The RSS feed for this twitter account is not loadable for the moment.

Follow @piranhatri on twitter.

UPCOMING EVENTS

VIEW FULL CALENDAR
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER