JOIN US
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook

Transition Training Notes

Home Forums Announcements Transition Training Notes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    johnwallnutt
    Participant

THE ART OF TRANSITION

We all train our little socks off from one end of the week to the next. We swim, bike and run in the quest for better times and the perfect race. But do you ever give transition any time. Do you practice it or plan it ? Would you be happy to be 2 minutes faster without having to train any extra. Minutes are lost in transition at every race so I thought I would give you my take on transition and how to get through it as quickly as possible. These are only my observations and suggestions so feel free to add your own ideas.

FIND A SPOT

Transitions come in different shapes and sizes but they are generally set up to be natural so everyone travels the same distance. Firstly find a spot for your bike ( if its not numbered racking ) I usually go with the nearest to the bike exit. Then walk to the swim exit and look at where your bike is from that point as this is how you are going to find it when you come out of the water. Take note where it is ie 2 lanes to the left 4th last bike etc etc . If you can line it up with something all the better, like a tree or a flag etc . This gives you a good reference point. As soon as you are happy with where your bike is walk to the bike exit so you know where the mount line is and then find the dismount line and walk back the route into transition noting where your bike spot is from this direction….. this is going to look different from swim exit. At the start of this I mentioned placing the bike nearest the bike exit. The reason I do this is it means I have the shortest amount of time running out with the bike. That said it means you are usually have a longer run back into T2 with the bike.

SET UP
    Zero your bike computer so you can tell at any time where you are on the course. Put the chain on the bigger chain ring. This is so the chain does not bounce off while running out of T1. Select a suitable gear so you can get going when you jump on. Not to high not too low. Make sure you have your drink bottle. I half fill it for Sprint and three quarters fill it for Olympic but rarely finish all the fluid during the race. Tape a gel to the cross bar. Tape it at the top so you should be able to tear off and open at the same time. Check tyre pressure and quick release levers are closed on the wheels. Place helmet upside down on the tri bars with the straps hanging out to the sides. Click in your cycle shoes and hold in place with elastic bands. If you do not already do this learn to and practice it as this will save you a lot of time. Sprinkle talc on the insole of your cycle shoe and runners and smear vasaline on the heel area on both shoes as well. Place your runners to the side of the bike. Position them so you can use them as a spotter to find your bike spot. That’s set up done. As Transition clears hang back as long as possible to make sure no one moves anything.

T1
    When I exit the water my system is as follows. Un zip the wetsuit. Remove hat and goggles. Pull suit off shoulders. Pull out first arm holding hat and goggles leaving hat and goggles in the arm of the suit as you pull through. Remove second arm. Push suit down to waist. At this stage you will be close to the bike unless it’s a very long run in. When you get to your bike leave the wetsuit alone and get your helmet on first then remove the rest of your suit. These extra couple of seconds standing while clipping on your helmet will help before you tackle your wetsuit. Roll / push the suit down close to the knee, pull one leg up and then step on the suit and pull leg out. Repeat with the other leg. Grab bike and go. Run with the bike holding it by the saddle in one hand ( it will steer itself, if you don’t believe me try it). Get over the mount line and hop on. If there are a lot of bikes around keep running until you have clear space. Get moving and then when it’s safe to do so tighten your shoes.

T2
    Coming into T2 make sure you have your feet out of the shoes nice and early. Brake in a straight line and while your weight is still on the saddle. When you have slowed to a suitable speed dismount again well before the line and hold bike by the saddle in one hand and run in to T2. This is where you will hopefully spot your runners jutting out from everyone else’s. Rack the bike and unclip your helmet. Feet into shoes and go. Most races will have a water station on course so if you have taken your gel at about 2/3rds into the cycle and have been sipping your drink you will not need to bring anything with you.

This is just the way I do it. Other experienced members will hopefully have other helpful hints.

TRANSITION SIMULATION PRACTICES.

T 1 at the racking station .Target time 20 – 30” seconds max.
    This can be practiced indoors – use a chair to hold your helmet and shades.
    Wear tracksuit legs/ trousers for the wetsuit. Have a stop watch to hand.
    So start watch – trousers down and stepped out of – helmet on head – shades on – stop
    watch . What is your time ?– now practice a few more times and lower the initial time –
    till you really do have a good PB.

Running with your bike – to the mount line – either with hands on the bars or pushing
    from the seat. Find which is best for you – can you steer it round corners left and right
    T1 mounting after the line ( shoes on pedals ) with elastic bands fixed to heels . Hop on to the bike while running putting one foot on a pedal – swinging the other over.
    Having checked out the start of the bike course – know when you can start to put your feet into your shoes. If it is up hill, or narrow or too technical don’t attempt it – wait and keep feet out until
    conditions are safer and more favourable. Just keep pedalling .

T2 re-entry dismounting . Feet out and place on top of the shoes.
    Near line stop pedalling – stand on one pedal foot @ 6 o’clock – swing the other over
    seat and place between this standing leg and the frame. This is the leg which is going to
    hit the deck 1st and start you running.

T2 ( running bike back to racking position ) as before for exiting
    At racking – bike in – helmet off – shoes on and GO !!!!!!!!

You MUST know your entry and exit points as well as the quickest route to
    and from them. This is all part of your recon.

Where is the best place to practice ? You can practice by your house – or a nearby car park. I have been seen running up and down my road in a wetsuit one moment and then on a bike the next !

There is no reason why you cannot match or even beat the professionals in T1 & T2. It is always worth checking your Transition times with those above you and seeing how you measured in this area.

CHECK LIST FOR TRIATHLON

Tri Suit
    Race belt
    Watch

Wetsuit
    Goggles
    Swimhat ( if the race gives you one make sure you ware it)
    Triglide/ body glide / vasaline

Bike
    Helmet
    Bike Shoes
    Sun glasses / visor
    Bike bottle & drink
    Gels or bar
    Mat or Towel
    Talc
    Elastic bands
    Saddle cream

Runners
    Socks ( if needed)
    Cap ( if needed)

darraghk
    Participant

Excellent advice thank you. Something I badly need to work on especially flying mount / dismount.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TWITTER @piranhatri
  • The RSS feed for this twitter account is not loadable for the moment.

Follow @piranhatri on twitter.

UPCOMING EVENTS

VIEW FULL CALENDAR
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER