JOIN US
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook

WW swimming pool – clorinated water

Home Forums Training WW swimming pool – clorinated water

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ivan
    Participant

Hi All,
    wanted to share the feeling that the water in WW is too full of chemicals (guess chlorinated water). After every swimming session I experience cough, blocked nose, etc.

Is this something that I feel, or is something shared? Is WW aware of that?

Thanks,
    Ivan

Paul Mooney
    Participant

Hi Ivan,

I’ve gotten used to WW pool now but I have to wear a nose clip, I struggle however in the Jacuzzi Room as the chlorine feels much stronger in there.

The guys in WW take readings each day and you can ask Kris, Tim, or Anthony to request the readings prior to training to see if it’s high or low. The water in WW I find is much warmer than any other pool I’ve used so I wonder does this make a difference.

Paul M

antje
    Participant

Hi ivan,
    i agree with paul. I’ve been using a nose clip the last few months and have had none of the issues since.
    Ant

paulod
    Keymaster

Ivan,
    We’ve raised both issues with WW on a number of occasions.

For the pool temp – they chose to keep it at an average 30 degrees. It’s seen as a leisure pool – that’s how the members prefer it.

On Chlorine, it is tested regularly and it is kept at a so called standardised safe level. There is no other way to treat that pool I guess.

For WW, I have to use the nose clip, without it I’m smothering for the rest of the day. I tried anti chlorine soap, nasal rinses, anti histamines etc. Only thing that works is the clip.

Ronan Lambe
    Keymaster

Ivan,
    I had the same issues and now take an antihistamine 10mins before swimming and I’ve been lucky that has worked for me.
    Ronan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryMc
    Participant

Ivan
    Had the same issue as you and the others, after about two years in the pool. Unlike Ronan I don’t do drugs so use a Nose clip. works well for me. A few different types out there so you may have to experiment.

Pablo
    Participant

I swim there once a week (the odd times two), generally no problems but in a couple of isolated instances I’ve experienced coughing from half way the session, and then a bit afterwards. No particular issues with nose blocking though (or not more that what I’m used to).

For me the temperature of the water is lovely 🙂

Gerry Maher
    Spectator

I had the same problem with strong reaction to the chlorine in the pool.

In the first month of joining the club (Jan/Feb) the symptoms were so bad that I actually thought that I was getting a very bad cold.

I’ve tried nose clips, rincing, nasal spray and anti-histamines.

They all work to some degree but I found the later two to work best for me. You can buy nasal spray in most chemists and use it on days that your reaction is particularly bad. (It’s not recommended to use it continuously as it contains steroids!)

I still get the occasional sniffles after a swim session but nowhere near as bad as before.

Regards

Gerry

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TWITTER @piranhatri
  • The RSS feed for this twitter account is not loadable for the moment.

Follow @piranhatri on twitter.

UPCOMING EVENTS

VIEW FULL CALENDAR
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER