JOIN US
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook

Advice on prescription goggles

Home Forums General Discussions Advice on prescription goggles

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Pablo
    Participant

Hi there,
    This is never been a problem in the pool. But in open water it’s all a blur, so far I’ve relied on my internal gyroscopes to navigate 🙂

I only realised last Saturday prescription goggles are quite affordable and widely used these days. A quick search shows a bunch of companies: specsavers.ie, aquagoggles.com, buynewspecs.ie …
    I hope someone can provide tips/advice. Things that come to mind:

– Best shop to get them
    – What is a reasonable price, does it depend more on the prescription or the goggle itself?
    – Which models are more popular?
    – Can I bring my own goggles or they just provide a limited range? Last week I actually posted the ones I’m using:
    “Kaiman Small Fit – Blue Lens”: http://www.aquasphereswim.com/uk/index.php/products/eye-protection/adults/87″ onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;
    “Speedo FastSkin3 Elite Goggle Mirror Black/ Smoke”: http://www.swimkit.ie/speedo-fastskin3-elite-goggle-mirror-black-smoke/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;
    – Expected durability
    – Which are best for open water vs pool use?
    – Can you try them in the real environment before buying?
    – Any disadvantages when compared with non-prescription ones?

Smcgui
    Participant

Hey Pablo,

I have prescription goggles but I only use them in the pool. I am blind as a bat so I used to wear contact lenses whilst swimming but I found my eyes dry out when swimming in the pool. I bought the Aquasphere Eagle Goggles which comes with regular lenses that can pop out and then I also bought two of the goggle lenses to pop in instead of the regular ones. Total cost came to €47 from Sean in Amphibian King West.

These are great in the pool, no complaint whatsoever except that they are a little large compared to the kaimans. However I don’t use these in the open water as they currently do not have a tinted version of the prescription lenses. This was fine for me as I only wanted them for the pool anyway and then use kaimans in the sea as I usually wear contact lenses in races.

Hope that helps!

John Martin
    Keymaster

Hi Pablo

I got mine, with prescription lenses, online (chainreactioncycles I think) and I too went for the Aquasphere Eagles. I’ve had them over a year, using them on average twice a week, and couldn’t recommend them highly enough.

Jm

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TWITTER @piranhatri
  • The RSS feed for this twitter account is not loadable for the moment.

Follow @piranhatri on twitter.

UPCOMING EVENTS

VIEW FULL CALENDAR
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER