JOIN US
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook

Barcelona 70.3 2016

Home Forums Races Barcelona 70.3 2016

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Smcgui
    Participant

Hi all,

Myself and Louise Bennett missed the boat on the Mallorca 70.3 entries so we are considering entering Barcelona 70.3 2016 instead.

We were hoping to hear from fellow Piranhas who have done this race previously, or are familiar with it, who could post up with advice, and answer some of the following questions to help us decide if this is the race for us or not:

• What is the best way to get from the airport to Callela? (Bus, train, car rental?)
    • Where is the best and most convenient accommodation in Callela for the race?
    • How bad is the bike course? We have heard it is very hilly and technical and indeed…scary!
    • If the bike course is bad then should we be using road bikes instead of TTs for this race?
    • Any other advice or tips about the course?
    • Any other advice or tips about the logistics of this race?

Thanks!
    Shaz

ricer
    Participant

Hi Shaz,

A number of us did this last year and just some quick comments on your questions below. It will give you some idea.
    Cheers,
    Roger.

•What is the best way to get from the airport to Callela? (Bus, train, car rental?) – depending on your time/flexibility all options will work. A few of us are just back from supporting the Full and while we were late arriving to the airport about 10.30/11PM we did get a bus directly to Callela, which dropped us off at the hotel door. If you have more time, 2 trains will get you there and very straightforward. If you do hire a car, you will be charged for daily parking in Callela no matter where you stay, so take this into consideration (unless you are doing an Airbnb)
    •Where is the best and most convenient accommodation in Callela for the race? – All the hotels are very central, reasonably priced and pretty much offer the same buffet type breakfast. Bernat 2, Aparthotel, Bon Repos were all used for full IM and nobody had any issues, all 5 mins walk to expo/finish area. Plenty of deals on booking.com
    •How bad is the bike course? We have heard it is very hilly and technical and indeed…scary! Its a tough course, but actually quite stunning. On the climbs you have time to take it all in :). I found the descents short and fast at times, but didn’t necessarily gain the time on descents versus ascents. A lot of folk coming off the bike, but they were tearing down…..
    •If the bike course is bad then should we be using road bikes instead of TTs for this race? Opted for TT, but a lot of road bikes on the course
    •Any other advice or tips about the course? Swim/Bike actually beautiful. Run nice and flat, but boring as you ran away from Calella. I’d highly recommend this being so accessible.
    •Any other advice or tips about the logistics of this race? Very very accessible…..shipmytri are parked central in the town

johnwallnutt
    Participant

Hi Sharon,

your other option is St Poilten Austria which I did last year. Nice race. Fly to Vienna. Race HQ is 75min drive from Airport. Car rental is cheap.
    Nice course. Safe Swim in 2 lakes. lake one 1000m then 300m run to lake 2 and 900m. Bike course is generally flat and fast with you main climb which would compare to sally gap but slightly shorter. Run is flat. Race HQ start/ Finish and transition are all in the one place. Its just another option.

samuel
    Spectator

Hi Sharon,
    I’m doing St Poilten myself, looks faster than Barcelona..
    Percy

BarryMc
    Participant

It’s not that hilly. Take your time and enjoy. Hotels on the beach are v handy. Don’t need car at all so bus or train. Take a few days off work and chill afterwards.
    Run flat and well supported. Swim dead flat. Hills on bike but it’s not Sally gap or lost sheep stuff. Granny gear and take your time. Bike course is well shaded and cool. Technical entering and leaving town. Gis a buzz and can answer any questions. I really enjoyed race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TWITTER @piranhatri
  • The RSS feed for this twitter account is not loadable for the moment.

Follow @piranhatri on twitter.

UPCOMING EVENTS

VIEW FULL CALENDAR
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER