JOIN US
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook

Broken collar bone

Home Forums General Discussions Broken collar bone

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ivan
    Participant

Hi Piranhas,
    unfortunately my season is over. I had an accident with the bike and i broke my collar bone. I went to Beaumont hospital at the first aid and they told me there is nothing to do. My left arm has to stay immobilized and wait it will probably heal.

It is the first time that happend to me (also not living in my country) and I wanted to ask if somebody experienced the same and asked for/where medical advices!? If there are particular good medical centres for this type of fractures here in Dublin. Advices from Piranha’s doctors or medical staff are also welcome.

Thanks

Ivan

BrianCahill
    Participant

Sorry to hear that Ivan. Hannan Mullett is an excellent shoulder surgeon and works in Beaumont and the Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry. He’d be a good person to give you a second opinion about whether you need anything else done for it or not but lots of clavicle fractures just need to heal and don’t need further surgery so what they told you may be correct.
    If you want a referral for a second opinion your GP should be able to give you a referral.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickk
    Participant

Ivan

Eugene Tangey who is a club member fell off bike at Hell of the West this year and broke collar bone. I think he has had very good care so if you want to pm me I will give you his contact details

Mick

emertighe
    Participant

Hi Ivan,
    When a person is diagnosed with a fracture in the a&e dept, they are usually given an appointment for the following week to see an orthopaedic surgeon. The surgeon then decides whether immobilisation ie cast/sling is sufficient or if the fracture requires surgical intervention.
    In your case, clavicle fractures usually only require surgery if the two bones are no longer in alignment. If they are broken but still adjacent to each other, then the bones will fuse naturally together again over time with immobilisation. If they are misaligned, there would be an obvious deformity or bony protrusion which you should be able to see. Tingling down the affected arm may also be present.
    I am assuming you did in fact see an orthopaedic surgeon in Beaumont at some point. Obviously, a second opinion is always valuable. Have heard good things about Mullet too.

Hope this helps!

AnthonyM
    Keymaster

Hi Ivan,

I’d second what Emer said. I had the same injury when I was at school and it will just need time to heal (provided you’re happy with the opinion of the doctors at Beaumont).

I would recommend seeing a physio asap and maybe trying to get on the turbo trainer/stationary bike (with your arm in the sling of course). It’s all about doing what you can provided you are not causing any pain to the injured area.

All the best with the recovery!

A

Ivan
    Participant

Thank you to everybody for the comments/advices,
    Ivan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TWITTER @piranhatri
  • The RSS feed for this twitter account is not loadable for the moment.

Follow @piranhatri on twitter.

UPCOMING EVENTS

VIEW FULL CALENDAR
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER