JOIN US
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook

Farewell from Cristina

Home Forums General Discussions Farewell from Cristina

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    muiriosaryan
    Keymaster

For those who didnt see the newsletter here is a note from Cristina.

“IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE RAINBOW YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO ENJOY THE RAIN”

When I found out that I had been given a grant to go to Dublin for three months, the first thing that I started to look for was a Triathlon club to train with, even before I looked for a place where to live. I went to Triathlon Ireland website and selected three of the clubs that looked better to me: Pulse, Belpark and Piranha. I was almost decided to join Pulse, but at the last minute, and thanks to the patience of “someone” called Paul Mooney, who had been patiently answering all my questions about licenses, pricing, training timetables…. on a million emails written with my broken English, I decided to join Piranha TC.

So, I did not have a place to live, but I had a Triathlon Club for my training. Priorities first!

Now I find myself packing my suitcase to go back to Spain. The three months are all over… What can I say about these three months? I cannot describe every single experience I lived here, all the memories, all the situations I found myself in… but I can say that I am going back home with three full suitcases: One full of clothes and shoes, another one with my beloved bike, and the third one, a very big bag full of the good moments spent with all Piranha Club members. The club mates are the ones that made the three months pass so quickly, despite the fact that I was far away from home, my family and friends.

Thanks to you I was able to enjoy my hobbies in Dublin, to meet people; sport freaks like me, and to get to know places in Ireland that I would not have known on my own. As we say in Spain, “me quedo con buen sabor de boca” (you left me with a good taste in my mouth). A smile will appear in my face every time that I think of Dublin, and in two weeks, when I am racing the Half distance race in Pamplona, I will think of all of you and all the training days we shared (in the wind, rain, ice..).

“YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND THE TRUE MEANING OF YOUR LIFE, UNTIL YOU TRAVEL AND EXPERIENCE HOW OTHERS ARE LIVING THEIRS”

As I said I cannot go over all the stories I lived with you, first, because my memory is not so good, and second, because Muiriosa may kill me if this is too long! But, I would like to share at least some of the things I have learned from Ireland and from the Piranhas over the three months:
    A short hill like Howth could seems really long
    It is possible to cycle with rain or ice, and the result is to arrive home with your face covered in mud and frozen feet.
    1.5 hours of swimming on Saturday morning feels like a never ending training session.
    You always have to wear a rain jacket in Ireland.
    Jagermeister shots are not good.
    People have different temperature sensors: Spaniards have to wear thermal layers, long sleeve jerseys and long pants, while Irish could wear short sleeve jerseys and short pants without feeling cold.
    The water in your bottle is always at good temperature and you can eat chocolate bars without the chocolate melting in your pocket.
    The meaning of “up and over” hahahaha
    In Killarney training camp I learned that all good training camps have to finish with a good party.
    Sometimes I asked myself: what are you doing here, Cristina??? Was this necessary??… from the very first day of my arrival to Dublin, in my first swimming session in WW (where the first people I met were Karen and John Wolf) when I was in the pool with a lot of Irish people and I could not understand a word they were saying (to me, that could have been Arabic),…. to all the mornings that I swam at 7 am (well, those that I was able to wake up on time), or to cycles on ice, rain (you would never cycle in the rain in Valencia), and finally the days that I got lost getting to UCD or Irishtown for the run sessions. Each of those moments are very special to me, and allowed me to enjoy Dublin in a different way.

“PIRANHA TC ARE NOT A TEAM BECAUSE THEY WORK TOGETHER, PIRANHA TC ARE A TEAM BECAUSE THEY RESPECT, TRUST AND CARE FOR EACH OTHER”.

This triathlon club is a TEAM with all the letters. The club members create an environment of companionship and camaraderie that almost turn an individual sport like triathlon into a team sport. There is healthy competitiveness, good vibes, hard training, but at the same time, suitable to all levels. I was extremely surprise with the good organization, the weekly training plans, and also the social activities that allow members to get to know each other in a different environment. I felt like anyone could be a member in this club, no better or worse, anyone can enjoy training at their own level. The trainers are also very professional and close to members, encouraging you with confidence and positivism and making you go training motivated all with a good attitude. Thank you Tim, Chris, Louise, Anthony, Marc, Maria and Casso, you were all amazing.

I would also say thank you to all Piranha Team mates as you were all also amazing, really friendly, and I would like to say a special thank you to the following people:
    To my swimming partners Bob, Phil, Kevin, Catherine, Tara… to push me each morning, and for the laughter we had when we could not follow the others or when we were exhausted. I will miss you in the swimming pool!! Thank you to Tim and Chris for the swim training plans, for the 800 m series with all levels together as it is the closest to a sea swim race and because it was really funny!

To Paul Mooney for replying to all my emails before I came here, for taking me into consideration for the last minute vacancy in Killarney, for the good moments in Killarney and for being really kind to me all this time.

To John Martin for giving me a lift to Killarney, giving me the opportunity to enjoy an unforgettable weekend in this beautiful place. I learned how long 4 hours could be driving in a car with little sleep and a hangover?! Hahahaha

To Martina because you accepted to share with me in Killarney without even knowing me. She was a perfect roomie (a bit too order obsessive! Hahahah), for all the chocolates, bars, or bananas she offered me and for taking care of me.

To Muiriosa and Andi for the Jacuzzi sessions and the free time in Killarney.

To Judy for organizing all the social events for the team!

To John Kearney, for being so friendly and because you always has an adventure to tell us. You are a true adventurer.

To John Wallnutt for your advice, your help, your experience and your attempt to teach me how to descend a hill.

To Bob for being the first person I have ever seen that was able to cycle 100 km with street clothes and to swim with half of your hair outside of the swimming hat. You were always really funny!

To Siobhan for the cycling times we shared in Killarney, I am really fascinated with your cycling ability, I am your fan number 1!! To Linda Clark for being so humble despite your extremely amazing way of swimming! To John Wolf for being the first person to introduce me to the team and being so friendly to me. To Casso for the turbo sessions and the Sunday cycling sessions. I eventually realised what you were trying to say to me with the word C-A-D-E-N-C-E!

To all that made the weekend in Killarney possible, I really enjoyed it!

To Frank for the Wicklow cycling and so many thanks to Cathal, Lorraine, Mags, Marie, Karen, Carles, Steve, Bernard, James, Ciara, Pablo, Fergal, Petrina, Eustace’s brothers,…. For all the good moments and the hard training sessions we shared. I am sure I forget other members I had the opportunity to meet.

“HOW LUCKY I AM TO HAVE KNOWN SOMEONE WHO WAS SO HARD TO SAY GOODBYE TO”

Thank you to Aidan (or maybe Eidan? Hahaha) for the running sessions after swimming, for the running in Howth hill, the 10 mile in Clontarf, for the cycling sessions, and for keeping me motivated with your drive, focus and discipline in preparation for Mallorca. For the crazy trips in your car and for all the small details you had with me these months. I will miss you! I hope you really enjoy Mallorca and that want to repeat again in Ibiza!!!

And finally, I want to say thank you to Belinda. I met her when I was here two weeks, on a Sunday cycling to Howth with really bad weather. I could not imagine that day that we would end up doing so many things together, but since that day, she helped me with everything. She even translated conversations to Spanish that I could not understand, hahaha. We shared training times, advice, concerns and dreams and a great social time also. I hope you enjoy Challenge Salou and I know that we do not have to say goodbye now because we will see each other soon. You made me feel like being with my friends in Spain, so I can only say to you that I am very grateful to have meet you and you are one of the biggest “things” that I bring inside the third bag to Spain.

Thank you all again for these three months. You are all more than welcome to come visit in Valencia, to enjoy some sun and warm weather! After this period, now I am really appreciative of the Valencia weather!!! But I have to say, that with you I learned that rain or wind are now only excuses to avoid training.

“GOODBYES ARE NOT FOREVER, GOODBYES ARE NOT THE END. THEY SIMPLY MEAN I’LL MISS YOU, UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN! “

I can say now, that I made the right decision in choosing Piranha TC.

See you soon Piranhas!! Hungry for more!!

Siobhan Forman
    Participant

Adios Christina!

You will be missed. Hope to see you again soon,

Siobhan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TWITTER @piranhatri
  • The RSS feed for this twitter account is not loadable for the moment.

Follow @piranhatri on twitter.

UPCOMING EVENTS

VIEW FULL CALENDAR
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER