JOIN US
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook

Ironman 2016

Home Forums Ironman Ironman 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    stevenmoody
    Keymaster

Good thinking Frank … if you want to set something up on http://www.surveymonkey.com – I will happily cast my vote … I like the idea of Austria 2016 too

John Kearney
    Participant

Great idea Frank, I’d go back to Roth, I did it in 2013 and loved it.

There’s a trade off in my option between an easy-to-get-to event like Switzerland and somewhere like Roth where it’s less easy but the Bavarians were way more excited that the slightly jaded Zurich locals.

However I would love to do Austria. I’m told it’s beautiful even if people might say it’s an “easy” Ironman unlike say Nice, Lanzarote or Norseman.

Bernard
    Participant

I’m up for an Ironman next year. As it will be my first I’d rather give Lanza, Nice or Norseman a miss. I’d also like a race later in the season – the NS can then be integrated into the training schedule. Thanks guys.

BarryMc
    Participant

Worthwhile seeing what shipmytribike’s plans are for next year. It does make travel and logistics easier and less stress.
    Will they be doing any new IM events Europe?

this year late in the season they are doing:
    Kalmar – sweeden – 15 Aug
    Copenhagen – Denmark – 23 Aug
    Malorka – 26 sept
    Barcelona – eSPAIN – 4th oct

Not on shimmytribike that they might do if we have a shed load of folks going again.
    Amsterdam – Holland – 12 september – nice fast course.
    Sardinia – Italy – october this year.

That seems to be the list of end of year ones in Europe folks.

BArry

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by BarryMc.
    CiaranL
    Participant

I could be interested as well. Similar to Bernard and many others – it would be my first and I’d like to give the NS a good go so late season is good….possibly Barcelona as not too hot and apparently easy to get to etc.

gerryv
    Participant

Hello all:

please see survey and lets get something going

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RVBDJWF

thanks

Gerard

Willo
    Participant

I’ll probably go for Ironman again next year (depending on IM Austria goes this year!). I’d probably have a preference for Frankfurt (European champs) and after that I would probably choose either Sweden, Copenhagen or Austria again. I’d be tempted to go back to Roth as well – it couldn’t be as hot as 2014 I’m sure!

stevenmoody
    Keymaster

@will – stop rambling and just fill in the sodding survey

stevenmoody
    Keymaster

Ok from first glance at the numbers – I was surprised that a number of you were plumming for Ironman Majorca…

And then I realised that a lot of you probably have not done your due diligence as would 20% of you have voted for Majorca if I had said in advance of the bike

On the bike course the athletes will pass all the interesting spots, well known from the Ironman 70.3 bike route.
    Steep climbs and fast downhill parts will challenge the athletes when riding through the scenic north-western part
    of Mallorca.
    Number of Bike Loops: 2 | total Elevation: 2200 m | Difficulty Level: 4 – tough

So to help out …. I was putting together a little cheat sheet on what the races were all about … but I stumbled on this little gem…

Click to access im%20europe%20eventsheets.pdf

Essentially all you need to know about all the 70.3s and 140.6 on the circuit …. have a read and have a think about the course difficulty before you make up your mind

Oh and in terms of numbers – it is currently at
    37% Austria
    21% Mallorca
    21% Barcelona
    10% Sweden
    5% Copenhagen
    5% Frankfurt

Paul Mooney
    Participant

Any update on results Steve?

stevenmoody
    Keymaster

Yes results are in ….

1) Austria – 32% – 8 votes
    2) Barcelona – 24% – 6 votes
    3) Mallorca – 16% – 4 votes

…..
    8) Lanzarote gets 1 vote (wonder who that was!)

So what does this mean ….. well nothing really! As we had 24 people com-might-menting to Ironman 2016 but the votes were very distributed over 9 races.

So what should happen next ….
    a) I would like someone to volunteer as IM co-ordinator for 2016 – this person would be responsible for helping guide the group to a more clear consensus on a club race …..
    b) Next step for the co-ordinator would be a short list of 3 races with a clearer list of pros/cons for people to select from.
    c) Once agreed – the co-ordinator would help remind/corral the group to meet the necessary sign up timetable

So who wants the co-ordinator role?

gerryv
    Participant

Steven:

going by your job description above this sounds like a roll for:
    – someone who has a lot of experience in Ironman events,
    – someone who knows the ropes, been there before, knows the pit falls of courses
    – someone with a lot of IT skills
    – good interactive personal skills a good listener..
    – energetic and proactive

what you need is a “Project manager”

I wonder who that is…

stevenmoody
    Keymaster

Yes Ger you are not wrong – I am completely the best man for the job ….

Problem is I am the best man for all the jobs ….

So what I willcommit to doing – and this is what I have done in the past – if enough interest is organise an Ironman presentation and talk interested people through what is involved in the IM Journey for 2016….

And at the end of it – I will outline how we approached the Roth gig in terms of people volunteering to help out in terms of taking point on agreeing a club race, race entry, SMTB, researching flights/accommodation options etc – that is where I would expect people to step up to the mark and share the load

It cannot be the best looking and most intelligent people in the club doing all the work – all the time …. I need minions 😉

Despicable me

gerryv
    Participant

Excellent.. fish on the hook….

im happy to help out where possible..

humble minion.. me

CiaranL
    Participant

Bit late with my vote – but it’s in there now anyway!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TWITTER @piranhatri
  • The RSS feed for this twitter account is not loadable for the moment.

Follow @piranhatri on twitter.

UPCOMING EVENTS

VIEW FULL CALENDAR
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER