JOIN US
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook

Newbie Open Water Training, Fri June 6th

Home Forums New to Tri Newbie Open Water Training, Fri June 6th

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Phil Sykes
    Participant

Will try and get along this evening, too. After my (non) performance in Athy 😳 , I need to get in some practice 😀

Gmonee
    Participant

I’ll b there too! Gareth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christy
    Participant

Hi,
    thank for organising such sessions.
    There are really unvaluable to us newbies.
    I could not make it as I had registered for Lough Ree on Saturday and was not in form to do both.
    Reality for a new to tri like me is that I am badly in need to get better at open water swimming.It is just hard.

Last year I only did my first openwater (Dublin City) (only had done the fingal tri in NAC before) and I found it tough (the cold, the hyperventillation, the muscles not responding at well.. etc…) so I decided to join the club and pushed my winter training from January to spring thinking I needed better conditioning. and thank you for the good swimming training sessions I believe it has made me a better swimmer.
    So I did Athy Sprint. Found it tough. But if fact nothing compared to yesterday. Athy I could more and less follow the “middle” line and the downstream helps doing a good time. Lough Ree was with lots of waves, not lanes etc.. I had prepared myself like stay calm, breath, try to see where you are going, do not rush warm up gently and then slowly accelerate your rythm etc… well I started in the pack by breaststroke until the first buoy as we were facing the waves and I wanted to see were I was going. I was starting to feel the cold less as well. and then after first buoy I decide to go front crawl…well all the mistakes I target the wrong buoy due to loosing concentration on effort, then zig zagging etc…until the second buoy and lost of time, was tired much more than I am ever in a swimming pool and had to revert to breast stroke until the final buoy as again I did not want to lose the track. In other words I revert in what I know I am comfortable at as I am not really ready yet for proper open water.
    I cannot even image how I am gonna manage one day the sea swim.
    I am willing to take the bull by the horns if I can make any progress as it really requires doing it again and again..
    So please I am not sure what turn you had during Friday session but I will do my best to join whenever there are new ones organised.

BOB
    Participant

Hi Christy

Every Wednesday(SS) and Sunday (NS) during Summer there will be uncoached members open sea swim meetups.

Come along to as many of these as u can -just let the group know you are new to open water and u need someone to keep an eye on ya.

We have all experienced the horrible hyperventilation/washing machine drowning feeling so the only thing is to kill it with lots of practice.

Brendan

Hugh
    Participant

Thanks Sinead for a great session on Friday and to the 18 people who turned up for slightly more-choppy-than-usual sea conditions at Seapoint!!

Agree with what Brendan has just said. And if anyone is very nervous sea swimming, Seapoint is a great place to go with a friend – the area to the right of the Martello tower is a great place to practice (where Sinead ran her session). Swim from the railings over to the railings about 100m further to the right (avoiding the rock in the middle!) – it’s shallow enough that you can stand when you need to. Check you’ve got high tide before you go 🙂

Feeling ready for a little bit of a race? Howth Aquathlon starts tomorrow (Monday 9th June). See here:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2293

christy
    Participant

thanks for letting me know about the sessions and locations. I will try to get this sorted.
    Great club organisation for the newbies.
    Christophe

sinead5
    Participant

Great to see so many out for the session on Friday night. And totally (almost) fearless too 😉 Brill to see !

sineadlambe
    Participant

Thanks for the session Sinead was great help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TWITTER @piranhatri
  • The RSS feed for this twitter account is not loadable for the moment.

Follow @piranhatri on twitter.

UPCOMING EVENTS

VIEW FULL CALENDAR
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER