JOIN US
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook

Roth 2015

Home Forums Ironman Roth 2015

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    fergalddaly
    Participant

Hi,

I am thinking that I’d like to do Challenge Roth 2015.

Perhaps it is possible that we can organise pre-registration vouchers, just as was done this year.

Is there anybody else interested ?
    I will setup a google sheet for this if there are more than a few interested.

If you do register for Roth 2015 and for some reason you do not wish to do it, then you can cancel up to April 30th
    2015 and you will get refunded your entry minus 60 euro.

Kind regards,
    Fergal.

Note: Those doing Roth 2014 can register for next year’s race immediately after the race. There are 1000 entries
    available.

darraghk
    Participant

Oooohh. Might be interested. I’ve never ran a marathon though 🙂 ok I’ve run one half marathon ever to be precise.

There’s a movie being made about Roth this year (nice souvenir for those doing it) and if that’s successful, it might become even harder to get a place in Roth I reckon as more and more people want to do it.

Definitely maybe.

Pgrealy
    Participant

I have found doing a straight marathon to be more daunting and harder to recover than from IM distance. The actual run in an IM is quite different to a straight marathon (IMHO). IM running has so many aid stations and one tends to run between them which helps break up the run. Also the act of walking through the aid stations gives your leg muscles a brief break and this significantly helps recovery. (This affect is the basis of the “Galloway” marathon method which recommends brief walks every few miles in a marathon run)

So no worries if you have not run a Marathon! Go for it!

fergalddaly
    Participant

By the way. . I’ve never run a marathon myself. I’m doing Dublin City in Oct.

stevenmoody
    Keymaster

Not having done a marathon should never be an obstacle to doing to an IM – in my experience a surprising number of athletes do their first marathon as part of an IM race e.g. Ciara Ni FWEWDFsdfsdfsdf, John Adams, to note a few and they did exceptionally well in their races…

The real thought process in signing up should be based reviewing your timetable of work/life wise and determining could you fit it in …. a key milestone will be discussing with your significant other/family and/or friends about the time demands it would entail and getting their buy in … as you will need support to get through this

Having done it before and just about to wrap up (hopefully) another IM journey – it is a brilliant experience with more highs than lows …. (note there will be lows …. ) and it has been way more fun this time due to super Roth-ar crew we got together at the start (still 30 or so to travel …. amazing)

So hopefully you lads could pull something similar together !

p.s. one more bit of advice – the key difference between training for a straight marathon on its own is that you will feel sore a lot of the time whereas with an IM you will feel more tired (down to less time pounding leg muscles)

Frank
    Participant

Hi,
    The organisers of Roth have given me a number of codes to allow people to register for 2015 if they like. However unfortunately the closing date for this registration is today. So if you’d like a code, send me a PM today and i’ll reply with your unique code and details on how to register.

This code will no longer work after today, but you can register when it opens for general registration after this years race and again in December 2014.

Frank

darraghk
    Participant

Ok thanks for encouragement, especially re marathon!

PM sent Frank.

fergalddaly
    Participant

I’m all signed up for 2015.

The first step was pretty painless!
    A few more to take from now to then.

Frank: Thanks a million for sorting out the code for me. Much appreciated.

Best of luck to the 2014 Roth-ers…

darraghk
    Participant

Sorted. Thanks Frank (and Ciaran!)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TWITTER @piranhatri
  • The RSS feed for this twitter account is not loadable for the moment.

Follow @piranhatri on twitter.

UPCOMING EVENTS

VIEW FULL CALENDAR
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER