JOIN US
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook

TI Debate on Competition Structures

Home Forums General Discussions TI Debate on Competition Structures

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bernard
    Participant

Piranha Tri will hold a meeting of members on Monday, 14th July, in Westwood at 7.15pm to perpare our position with regard to the future Competition Structure that will be adopted by Triathlon Ireland.

Triathlon Ireland are hosting a series of regional meetings between the 9th and 17th July at which this will be the main topic of discussion. Luckily the Leinster meeting is Thursday 17th, at 7pm in the Red Cow Hotel, giving us a chance to get our club position ready. The announcement of these regional meetings from TI can be found here:
    http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=1833

TI have produced two documents in relation to the regional meetings. One relates to their strategic proposals for Events for 2015 and beyond, the other are minutes and actions from the last round of regional metings. They can be found here:
    http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=1852

Please familiarise yourselves with the Strategic proposal document. If you have an interest / view on the subject please make every effort to attend on Monday. If you can document your view either on this chain, or by email to me at ber.hanratty@gmail.com all the better. I will seek to review and classify all feedback (website or email) in advance of the meeting.

Kind regards and happy racing!

Bernard

Bernard
    Participant

Bump

Post up if you can come – I don’t want to be there on my own

I will try to decipher the ‘proposal’ and present it on Monday night.

Also, are their other topics (Youth section, draft legal, Coaching, Technical Officials) that people would like t put onto the agenda?

thanks

AnthonyM
    Keymaster

I’ll be there!

A youth section might be a good thing to put on the agenda. Very few clubs in Leinster facilitate children and youths. Being the biggest club in the country, I think it would be a good idea to talk about it.

marco.viappiani
    Participant

I’ve skimmed the document, seems like a pretty drastic change from the current structure.
    I see they are proposing a different license divisions structure for athletes.
    Also, if I understand correctly, they’re thinking about introducing separate elite waves potentially draft legal (with a point system more similar to the ITU). I also read that national series would be club only events to avoid having too many unaffiliated participants.
    If I get the point right, it’s to have more “head to head” racing and international athletes participation.
    I think it’s an interesting proposal, I don’t have any comments but it would be good to see if there are other plans for attracting international athletes beyond the structure of races/licensing.
    Not sure if that’s part of different discussions/meetings, but it would be good to see if there is a media plan to try to get more attention from the media in Ireland and abroad.

AnthonyM
    Keymaster

Is this going ahead tonight?

Kevin L
    Participant

Just one comment to make about a ‘Youth Section’. This places a whole load of extra responsibility and resource requirements on a club. I would urge people to think very carefully about whether we are in a position to accommodate that extra level of resource allocation. Personally I think it opens up a whole can of worms with potential legal implications.

K.

Bernard
    Participant

Yes. Definitely going ahead.

Please do try to attend all – or forever hold your peace on the subject of competition structures.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bernard
    Participant

PS: I have a presentation prepared to help demystify the proposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bernard
    Participant

Thanks to Messrs. Wallnut, Mulholland and Murphy (Conall) for joining me last night for the discussion on the future of competition formats for Triathlon in Ireland last night.

Please find a link below to a presentation that I prepared that explains in detail how the current system works, what the criticisms of that system are, and how the new proposed system is structured. Please email, PM or call me if you have any questions on the mechanics.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-i1vsRAIgBaNzZSYUlZbXdOams/edit?usp=sharing

Please also find the formal submission that Piranha TC has made to Triathlon Ireland in advance of the regional meeting on Thursday evening. If you have additional points that you believe merit discussion – then while it is too late to include them in our submission, you could either post up here to discuss or attend the meeting in person.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-i1vsRAIgBaNVVDd2tKbGNpVVE/edit?usp=sharing

Anthony Mulholland and Ellen Shilling will represent Piranha at the event. If others are interested in attending then please do go along to the Red Cow Hotel at 7.00pm on Thursday, 17th July. Please post up or contact Anthony / Ellen in advance if you are going to attend.

Many thanks to Anthony, Ellen, John, Conall and BOB for contributions to the discussion. I know that many others have views on the topic, however the window for debate was very narrow and is now closed. You will have to hold your peace for at least the next three years I suspect. 😯 😯 😯

Kind regards

Bernard
    Email: ber.hanratty@gmail.com, PM: Bernard or mobile: 087 231 5076

loubenny
    Participant

Amazing amount of hard work and time has gone into this by all involved especially Bernard.

Makes the proposed changes and our views on same very clear.

Thank you.

RichieD
    Participant

Would echo what Louise said….thanks to all those contributing to the club’s submissionon our behalf, especially Bernard. It’s a very professional and considered piece of work.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TWITTER @piranhatri
  • The RSS feed for this twitter account is not loadable for the moment.

Follow @piranhatri on twitter.

UPCOMING EVENTS

VIEW FULL CALENDAR
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER