JOIN US
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook

TT Bike Hydration System

Home Forums General Discussions TT Bike Hydration System

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ronan Lambe
    Keymaster

Guys,

Looking at the various hydration systems available on the market for between the aero bars.

Could anyone recommend one they’ve tried and tested apart from a normal cage and cable ties?

Thanks,
    Ronan

Kev.b
    Participant

Hey ronan, I used one for Long distance last year, had it narrowed down to two systems, the Speedfill A2 aerobar Bottle and the Xlab torpedo system. Went for the speedfill in the end and it worked out very well, its got a great kinda sliding opening that you can open, dump a bottle in to fill and then simply close it on the fly which is the main feature I wanted..save those valuable seconds instead of stopping during a race. The bite valve on it worked fine too, the odd time the drinking tube would move around a bit, but it didnt bother me much.

As for the torpedo, its a little bit more expensive and I havnt used one but it seems to be a popular one too.

Ill bring the thing to training one of the days and you can see for yourself what its like.

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/bottles/speedfil-a2-aerobar-mount.html

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/bottles/xlab-torpedo-system-100.html

regards,

Kev.

Ronan Lambe
    Keymaster

Kev,
    Thanks for that man. DC Rainmaker might have a job for you!
    I’ll give you a shout before I pick one up in the next few weeks.
    Thanks,
    Ronan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ploughnane
    Spectator

Hey Ronan,

I’ve been using the XLAB Torpedo Carbon with the computer Mount included for about 2 years now. Great to have the computer mount so far out front on the Aero bars so it’s right in your line of sight all the time.

As for the bottle itself I switched to it from a Profile Design Aero system as I hate rattling on my bike and it fell off a few times on rough roads which isn’t ideal (yes that was with all the straps on). The XLAB Torpedo doesn’t budge on the bars. It can be a little difficult to refill on the go but have gotten used to it so am very happy with the setup. The XLAB straw is also nice and soft with a great bite piece on the end. I cut the roof of my mouth on the Profile design straw when I hit a bump while drinking which was really annoying!

Pros:
    Very Secure on the bike.
    Great to have my Garmin mounted so far out on my bars.
    Straw is great.

Cons:
    Carbon version is expensive
    Can be a little difficult to refill while moving

Let me know if you want to see it. Should be along to the final TT this month so can bring it then.

Patrick

Ronan Lambe
    Keymaster

Patrick,

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve read alot of negative reviews of the Xlab Torpedo 200, the aluminium version.
    It seems the 400 is the way to go, granted for a whole lot of wedge for what is essentially a water bottle holder!

Think I’ll save up the few shekels extra and go with the carbon version rather than change the other one after a few months.

Thanks again,
    Ronan

ploughnane
    Spectator

Hey Ronan,

Yeah I’m running the 400 with the carbon mount. The cage on the 100,200 and cheaper 400 is plastic. The Carbon Mount I have is specifically fitted for the bottle. Very tight fit.

Happy shopping!
    Patrick

Siobhan Forman
    Participant

Ronan,

Swimcyclerun are out of stock of the X Lab 400 at present, but Sigmasport.co.uk have it on offer at 80.99 Stg.

It comes to 112 Euro with P and P.

Regards,

Siobhan

Ronan Lambe
    Keymaster

Thanks Siobhan, will it make me as strong as you on the bike?!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
TWITTER @piranhatri
  • The RSS feed for this twitter account is not loadable for the moment.

Follow @piranhatri on twitter.

UPCOMING EVENTS

VIEW FULL CALENDAR
follow us Follow Piranha on Twitter like us Like Piranha on Facebook
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER